Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Parkinson's Support Group

Last night my sisters and I attended a Parkinson's Support Group in Parkersburg that dad attended when he could with mom. Mom had called the gentleman Larry Ice and discussed with him what we are working on for Team Fox. Larry was quick to jump in on inviting us to come and speak and we talked on the phone several times prior to this meeting. I have to say; his positive spirit about beating Parkinson's and doing something about it is contagious. I always felt better just in general whenever I would hang up the phone from him.

When arriving at the library I quickly reminded myself I didn't even know who I was looking for. This man who I felt was a friend already I'd never even seen in person yet. I suppose we were a giveaway because I promised to bring some of the "Cupcake for a Cure" Silver color themed (Parkinson’s Awareness color) cupcakes with me from my friend's shop. So I'm assuming he knew who I was. It was such an inviting group and in a way you felt better just by being there. The meeting was a mix between humor and truth, and it was the perfect balance for an approach to this battle. We all shared many laughs and stories and embraced each other's experiences of the disease. They all were eager to jump in and help in our quest with the NYC marathon and by no means was I expecting to leave with $170.34 they have been progressively saving through events they do throughout the year. I have sent it off to the foundation to be added to our efforts. If any of you are reading this, thank you for the invitation to join and welcoming us in.

After we left the meeting the 3 of us (sisters) went out to dinner. Upon discussing ideas of fundraising and maintaining the positive vibes we felt lifted by with the meeting we couldn't help but realize; that was the first time we'd been in a room full of people all going through the same things we have been. Maybe, for a lack of better explanation, it was therapeutic. We were in a room full of people that understand the hardships, the tremors, the speech impairment, eating struggles, the frustration...but as Larry said, "Stay on the Sunny Side, always on the Sunny Side" (insert a little tune there)   And Larry is right, it’s too easy to be negative, the challenges of the disease may be of mobility but the other challenge is also a fight against frustration.   

Upon my new found determinedness to do even more….this video hit Facebook today distributed by Team Fox, and was seems to be a recurring theme of good timing….the timing for this was perfect. 

I just had to share this video....it brings me tears, goosebumps, and a hope for so much of why we wanted to be apart of Team Fox .  If you have a few minutes, I reccomend you to watch as it explains so much of this journey we look to take to honor our dad.

Team Fox Video

Donate Online Here For Team Spangler:
http://www2.michaeljfox.org/site/TR/Sponsored/TeamFox?px=1007327&pg=personal&fr_id=1210

No comments:

Post a Comment