Friday, March 23, 2012

How to Bribe Dad....

HAPPY FRIDAY! 

Yesterday was a decent day of running, however I’ve been saying for a short while I need to get a new pair of running shoes, as runners say “These have too many miles on them”.  Shoes are like tires to distance runners; you can start to tell when the sole just doesn’t take the impact of the ground as well like when tires start to get baled.  I suppose that little adventure will be added to the list because yesterday my feet were not happy with me.  I remember at running camps (yes those exist) there would be guest speakers who talk about keeping logs of the miles on their shoes (usually reccomend 300-400 miles) and switch them out and all their routines of it, apparently I didn’t take very good notes on that, I just wait for my feet and legs to start hurting.
                I should log some extra miles yesterday from going to run errands at Wal-Mart…I’m pretty certain just walking around that store getting groceries along with everything else you get side tracked by could tally an additional mile to my training.  I got home and ran on the road for about 35 minutes while chatting with Holli on the phone, we had to get caught up on all our projects and updates.  I did have about 4 sets of neighbors wave at me so at least I’m making a few friends through this process J  
                Yesterday I had made a note about mom bribing dad to go to the beach with food due to his birthday dinner request. I had found this picture while going through some things and it reminded me of this specific story that fits dad well. It isn’t that dad didn’t enjoy the beach; I think it was the driving to get there.  We grew up going to the Outer Banks in North Carolina (Nags Head to be specific) with my grandparents on my mom’s side.  They had a condo there (where they would fly a WV flag proudly on the porch during that week so everyone would know the blue and gold pride) J.  Located nearby was an “All You Can Eat Buffett” restaurant called Sound Side (I actually don’t think it exists anymore, dad probably put them out of business) J.  I do believe it was dad’s favorite, for obvious reasons.  Dad loves his seafood!  As a kid, we enjoyed Sound Side because it also had an arcade area for kids to play in and get tickets.  Since I have found a passion in the marketing industry I look back realizing what a fantastic idea that was for obvious reasons, such as my father.  Dad was able to eat all he wanted while we kept ourselves entertained. 
                My grandparents will bring this story up every now and then and we can’t help but laugh, but we can remember us kids eating our share of the all you can eat buffet then racing to go to the games after papaw sneaking us money.  We’d run around being the wild children we were while dad kept eating his shrimp, crab legs, clams, hush puppies, you get the idea.  One particular year we spent all our money raced back to the table and dad was still enjoying all of the above.  Papaw would sneak us a little bit more money, and that pattern just kept going on until dad was ready to go J  When this story surfaces is when dad jokes about him taking up the love of running so he could eat more J  I think mom would have to stick a shrimp on the end of a pole and  place on the hood of the car so dad would just keep driving until we got where we were supposed to be and he could enjoy all the seafood he could handle J  The next morning we’d wake up and dad and I would go for a run together before it got to hot…and do it all again J 

Me, Dad, Mom, Kelly, and Papaw Nelson posin' outside the resturant.  :)  (I'm not sure where Tara is, probably already playing skeeball)

No comments:

Post a Comment