Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Trail Run...

I won’t get too “mushy” today…yesterday was enough to make me tear up typing some of that about 5 times..So, today we’ll take a little laughter break J 

                Sunday was a little bit of a longer run for me for the time being so yesterday I decided I’d play it safe running closer to home and through the woods with my new little 4 legged friend “Dakota”.  However, we now call him “Smokes” due to his color and yes I’m well aware of the lack in thinking about what people will think of us because we named our dog “Smokes” J  Thankfully the trail is well marked and I’m familiar with so I didn’t get lost at any point.   
                Speaking of getting lost, it wouldn’t be the first time (and I’m sure by no means last) but sometimes getting lost is all the fun in it.  In my younger days  (yes I’m referring to myself as getting old) when I was the only girl on the whole cross country team we were running at Belpre (OH)…our team was running a little late getting to the course on time for the girls race and I didn’t have much time to warm up.  I was always nervous enough as it was and dad kept reassuring me “Just follow the 4-wheeler….it will be fine”.  Well just like every athlete should do… they listened to their “coach”…… Well thanks “dad”….I followed the 4-wheeler just like you said and it went the wrong way…  Now most might think “Big Deal”… just turn around and go back…..  Well… I didn’t realize we were going the wrong way and we weren’t in a place of the course for many spectators to yell at you to tell you either.  Therefore, I continued to go the wrong way as well as the whole entire group of runners behind me.  So now we have this race completely off course with everyone running the wrong way and they had to stop the race a little after a mile into it…all to postpone the race till after the boys ran and the girls recovered enough to restart the race.  You can rest assured I spend the awards ceremony hiding behind my dad knowing well enough since I was the only girl in a “Ritchie County” uniform I had nobody else to even pretend or confuse the crowd with questioning which girl it was that did that today.   So, for the day, I’m sure I was “THAT GIRL”
                There are many more other “lost” stories (Doddridge County Race….in the middle of hundreds of acres in a State Park Forest at Virginia Tech…miles upon miles away from where I was supposed to be "?" State Park while visiting Old Dominion) but I’ll save them for another day J  I did run about 30 minutes today, with a few breaks of waiting for “Smokes” to drop sticks that were 4 times his size thinking he needed to bring them along with us.



A Few pictures of the trail and my running partner 

2 comments:

  1. You have a gorgeous running partner. :) I'm sure he'll take very good care of you when you're out in the middle of nowhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your help on teaching me how to get this blog together :) I really am lucky to have gotten the chance to throw myself into your and Brie's life :)

      Delete