Friday, March 9, 2012

Spring Peepers & Rain

Running last night was close to perfect.  Yes it was raining….but it was a warm rain with the sound of spring peepers all around and I loved it!  I had my waterproof jacket on with my cell phone and camera protected in the pocket.  (I had to get a picture for my blog and make a few phone calls to catch up) J  

     I do have to make a note, while running I saw a hill and randomly thought of what I kept trying to remember yesterday that we called the hill on our Ritchie County XC Course….the BEAST….  Funny how things just come to you sometimes, that one took about 3 miles. 
     I probably got approximately 6 miles in last night on the road that we live off of.  I’m curious if the neighbors are wandering who this crazy person is yet?  I have to admit, I miss running on the Rails to Trails in Ritchie County just right across the road from my childhood home.   It was always nice to not have to worry about vehicles so much, enjoy small gravel grounding, and the only traffic interruption every once and awhile might be some horses J 

     I kept thinking of things I forgot to tell mom so I decided I’d just call her on the run…she’s use to it by now and at least hides the fact if she’s annoyed by the constant clicking of shoes hitting pavement.  I hadn’t talked to Holli either in a few days so while she was driving home and I had to get a run in why not entertain each other J  Not many people can understand a conversation while running but hey…you only have so much time in a day and we needed to catch up J 

     By the time I arrived back home it was pouring by then and water was dripping from my hair to my shoes.  However there is just something about a warm rain that distance runners love and I would have preferred to just keep going!  I’m pretty sure Brock and Smokes thought I was silly standing outside the door at this point taking off my dripping jacket and muddy shoes and socks so I didn’t track it inside.  Somehow I’ve found myself crazy about a track sprinter/long jumper…so he’s got some “distance runners” characteristics to get use to.   One of them being weird (which that he might already know) J  There is only so many laps/treadmill runs a distance person can stand before it doesn’t matter what the weather is outside but it won’t phase us.  Dad would always remind me with the quote,

“When you are not practicing, remember, someone somewhere is practicing, and when you meet them they will win”

No comments:

Post a Comment