Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Rebels Are State Champs!

I know I’m a few days behind a little bit on this update from the weekend’s state track meet excitement but I wanted to share a few things. 

First…the training update. 
Friday: I got about 5 ½ miles on with the typical run on the road. 
Saturday:  I didn’t get a run in due to some other plans, but we did enjoy the day going to Emily’s dance recital and eating ourselves till we couldn’t eat anymore.
Sunday:  If yard work and projects outside count for something I should get a few bonus points and lifting for the day accounted for.  I then ran the flat parts of the road and circled back around a little bit totally about 5 miles.
Monday (Last night)- I wanted to get a little bit more in so I went further than the usual evening turn around spot to try to get the mileage going back up.  On the way home I can’t help but love the fact now that my neighbors have caught onto me running and most wave and several upon passing me say something positive about NYC marathon or even Team Fox.  I’ve made a few pit stops to chat a little bit with some new friends I’ve made as neighbors and it just makes the training a little bit more special and meaningful.  I totaled about 7 miles on this run. I do have to say, I loved running, which usually means a “feel good” day, but it’s nice to not feel sluggish and build the momentum to know you can run the streets of NYC for 26.2 miles.  I tend to reflect a lot of what that day will be.

Knowing Dad is Proud and Happy for the Blue and Grey:
Where I’m from, Ritchie County, they have created a tradition for state championship teams.  Those individuals along with whatever fire trucks can make it go to the county line.  They go to welcome home the state champions along with a parade around what we call the major cities in our small county.  You can keep up with some of the latest happenings through Facebook with our county which I have appreciated during my time of living further away.  It was so great to log into Facebook and see all the updates on the state meet and highlights.  The final result….Ritchie County Boys Track Team was AA 2012 State Track Champs…which causes for a celebration. (thanks Brian for the pictures!)


Waitin' at the County Line

Bring Home The Rebels

 As you’ve learned, dad’s passion for sports ranks high upon his interests, his journey with sports, his students, and athletes emphasize so much about his life.  Dad had a little bit of a rougher weekend, and due to him not being able to get out of bed it poses some challenges to things he’d enjoy most.  Mom knew they usually bring the parade by our house along old route 50, and with her keeping up with where the parade was coming from she knew about what time to expect it.  I had spoken to her on the phone earlier in the evening and she’d updated dad on everything.  Mom turned off dad’s oxygen for a short bit (due to the volume of the machine), and she’d turned off all the TV’s etc, and opened all the windows that she could along with the door closest to dad’s hospital bed.  It wasn’t long after she said she could hear the sirens and see the lights of the firetrucks flashing as they are going by.  (It was after dark at this point) Mom said she didn’t know how else to respond for dad because the blow horn dad has had since his cross country days wouldn’t be heard through the sound of the sirens so mom said she kept flashing the lights on and off to show they were “inside” cheering for them.
I suppose for some that doesn’t seem like a major deal, but those little things mean a lot to dad.  Mom called me right after the parade went by to update me and told me dad got to hear the parade and there was excitement in mom’s voice, which means it made dad smile.  We all know on top of it all, dad loves winning, several of those boys on the high school team dad had in Middle School.   As many of the runners were referred too over the years as “Terry’s Kids”.  (Some of that stems from the poor lady in Wal-Mart on a trip to the state cross country meet that we had convinced upon our stop there that we all ACTUALLY were his kids.  I don’t know how we convinced her but we walked out of that store assured she believed us.)  I’m sure dad expects a full report from you boys as to your split times and so forth J 

Congrats Boys on a State Championship, it’s always a great day to be a rebel….but those days make it just a little bit better! J

1 comment:

  1. Missy, it makes me sad to know that your Dad never got to know my son Jayden. Jayden didn't even know which house was Coach Spangler's! But I did, and I saw the flashing lights and it brought a tear to my eye. On top of being so proud of all those boys, when I saw the lights, I knew Coach was proud of them too! It was a wondeful weekend and I'm glad your dad was a part of it!

    ReplyDelete