Thursday, May 10, 2012

XC Newspaper Trick....

Training Update:

Monday- Embarrassing enough I hate to admit I was a little bit sore from running fast on Sunday evening to beat daylight that I ran for about 15 minutes as a lighter day to recover a little bit.
Tuesday- Ran with Holli for about 6 miles (more details to follow)
Wednesday- Ran the flat parts of the usual run on the road to avoid the hill and break up the routine of the route (ran about 5 miles).  I do have to admit, I met a new neighbor who jokingly asked if I was training for a marathon and I was able to respond with a laugh and a yes.  He said they always see me running all the time now and he asked how old I was because apparently they have been debating if I was in high school or not recently.  As mom always says I’ll appreciate it one day, and I said that I haven’t been skipping school and in fact 29 J

I was lucky enough to have Tuesday off from work (which for those who know my work-aholic ways I’m still learning how to accept government holidays off)  I’m always worried I’ll enjoy them too much and not want to come back to work.  I guess that was the thing of working ALL the time, you never knew exactly how enjoyable the days off were to ever think otherwise.  Mom needed some help with a rental property they have in town so it was the perfect excuse to visit Holli and go for a run and meet up with mom later. 
Since the weather couldn’t decide what it wanted to do Holli and I decided we didn’t care and were off to run in the rain.  We ended up running around 6 miles on a much friendlier road of slow drivers than mine, it was a nice change of scenery and nice to have company along the run.  Since I went on a run with Holli those who know the cross country stories are probably wandering if we yelled SNAKE any… for those of you “newbies”….Holli is pretty gullible J  (I shouldn’t really talk as myself HATING snakes would do the same thing)  We can pretty much guarantee no matter how many times you yell “snake”, Holli will do a quick movement resembling a jump J  I think some days we took it too far but you just can’t help but laugh J  Well, that is, until you yourself actually stepped on a snake and decided a quick sprinting workout would fit in perfectly during your run.  I have to admit as well, after I would see my first snake of the season running on the Rails to Trails growing up there were days I’d run with rocks in my hands for a quick defense upon site of one.  I suppose it is somewhat good strength training for your arms but I for one hate those slithering things.
Holli has a tough time saying “No” when you ask her to do things....  Now…Dad gets brought into this story because as you’ve discovered and continue to read, he is a very motivational person.  But….don’t think it’s just his motivation….he’s very tricky too, maybe strategic is the right descriptive word.  See… Years and Years ago (Its double digit years ago now so I can say that) I was the ONLY girl runner on the Cross Country Team (are you seeing a pattern here of my sports career growing up) BUT…. We wanted to pull together and get a full team of girls together to be able to finish in the team standings.  Therefore…dad started to review his knowledge of kids as well as my friends.  Dad’s next move was to put the little notice in the newspaper highlighting the upcoming start of cross country season.  Along with that little bit of information is a list of runners who were signed up for cross country (several of those runners didn’t sign up for ANYTHING) but Dad knew once they saw their name in the paper they would “feel bad” not doing it.  One of those names was Holli and sure enough she ran that cross country season J  Along with Melanie Jones, Megan Walker, Kylea Goff…well you get the idea…. True signs of a great coach; pick kids who can’t say no. 

Dad Coaching Holli in High School
 Holli and I were forced to be friends I suppose since our mom’s taught grade school together so we were always stuck with each other after school, faculty senate days and so forth.  Good thing we got along J Since the kindergarten years we’ve traveled the world together, ran for opposing college teams, attended cross country camps, and still love to run miles together.  I should give her a great deal of credit as well as a contributing factor of a cause and effect for a reason I live and was able to move back to WV J 
Holli and I In Paris
Holli Me and Melanie During Our College Running Days
It’s funny to think that a little trick in a newspaper now has Holli coaching the Ritchie County Cross Country team J Dad had to take early retirement due to the effects of Parkinson’s Disease and the restrictions to his mobility it was causing. Holli had been by his side the previous years and was able to step in and help fill in the need for a coach. My mom helps coach the cross country team now too and I think dad looks forward to hearing about the updates from the both of them. I might add too, Melanie Jones has volunteered as well the last few years to help coach and is guilty upon the name in the paper trick as well :) (And I have to laugh because now Holli is in her own shoes of when dad would yell SPRINT at the end of the race and wanting us to push a little bit more...and how we hated that as runners because somtimes we just didn't have ANYMORE) :) 
Dad and Holli Coaching at a Cross Country Meet




I just wanted to add a little bit to this blog post for those who don’t know.  That little trick dad played about putting the girl’s names in the newspaper…a few short years later that group of hard working girls did end up being state runners up in the WV State Cross Country Meet.  That was the start to the continuing growing “family” of Ritchie County Cross Country. 

2000 State Runner Up Cross Country Team- Ritchie County
Dad Accepting the\ WV State Runner Team Cross Country Trophy Season Year 2000

No comments:

Post a Comment