Tuesday, June 5, 2012

“The Journey of 1000 miles begins with a single step”

“The Journey of 1000 miles begins with a single step” – Confucius   I think of that quote often in the worlds of running, although I’m certain it has a more in depth meaning then the obvious world of running.  I’m not certain how many steps it will take to complete the marathon but I am certain I will lose track counting during the race, probably so within the first block.  I reflect on this quote for this particular journey due to what these steps mean to me and what these steps are for. The journey to find a cure will be so far from 1000 miles but with every mile meaning something….we’re bound to get somewhere. I’ve found myself in a little bit of a slump which I’m struggling for what reason I don’t know when it’s come to running the last few days.  A few miles into the run I seem to be fine…but those first few steps have taken a little bit more of a push to get going than usual.  I woke up this morning telling myself to get over whatever it is and let’s get going again.  (I’m certain that’s dad’s advice as well…) J 

I think sometimes it’s easy to isolate yourself into a "nobody understands" train of thought when in reality there are many others that actually do understand.  I’ve been searching and reading other Team Fox member’s pages, stories, journeys, and events that have inspired me to get over whatever this hump is and make something happen. 

We had taken a little trip last week to the Amish Country and I found myself completely exhausted in the evenings.  I sure hope all the walking around count for something in regards to training. I kept calling mom to update her and dad on everything we did because I know dad loved going to the Amish Country (I’m certain it was for the food…which if you remember in prior blogs is how mom coaxed him into going anywhere) J 

 I need to become more of a morning person again and get some runs in prior to the work day getting started to switch my schedule around a little bit.  I have found myself in a “habit” of the same old routes and routines that I think have made the “same old” runs too normal and need to change it up.

My Running Report to catch up on:

Wednesday:  Ran the typical route on the road (with a few words of encouragement from some of the neighbors checking in along the way)….ran the extra little flat going the other way to total about 6 miles this evening.
Thursday:  We traveled to the Amish country this evening, so we just walked around some in the area and got settled in. 
Friday:  -off-
Saturday: -off-
Sunday:  I think I entered into an “Amish Chocolate Chip Cookie” coma today and literally felt like I had to throw myself off the porch to get moving enough to get my run in.  We’d been doing outside projects to catch up on and finally in the evening got myself together to go running.  I felt like a turtle could have beaten me on today’s run.  I ran about 5 ½ miles this evening.
Monday:  Another little bit of a sluggish start day, but started to feel a little bit better on the way back (most of it being a downhill probably helped with that) but….I had added a little bit to the turnaround point as well as adding the flat part…so got about 7 miles in…with a little bit of a hill workout in afterwards chasing after the dog.  I think he does it on purpose anymore to help me with training.   
Our journeys take us all difference places in life, give us life experiences we may not learn to appreciate until years later, but for each of those experiences it’s what we take from them and allow to make us better people.  Dad gave so much of his “time” to others…. Along with lots of words of advice…so as dad would tell me…quit being a baby and make something happen J 
I had to share a picture from several years back (obviously) of us at the Milam side family reunion (on Dad's mom's side).  Dad’s orneriness obviously comes honestly from Papaw’s facial expression in this picture, and don’t under estimate what Tony is probably about to say that will break us all out in laughter in any given second during this picture J 

No comments:

Post a Comment