Monday, July 16, 2012

Long Runs Begin

There is just something about the feeling of running past that 1 hour mark that makes you feel like you’re getting somewhere :) Yesterday's run was 80 minutes and I won't lie, when I first started moving my legs I thought they weighed 1000 pounds and I was worried mentally what this run would do to me. Maybe it was from being in the car most of the day before...but I didn't know if I was going to be able to get that run going. While on vacation I FINALLY got a "running watch" to start timing runs etc. I figured it would be appropriate given the new workout schedule we got.
I actually was hesitant to have a ‘running watch’ while getting back into this, as I was scared if I knew the distances and saw the watch changing numbers I’d be more discouraged at where I use to be in the world of timed running and where I was now given it’s been a few years since I’ve really done this whole training thing.  I think it was the change I needed also to give myself a new approach for training given the countdown to the marathon is sneaking closer and to find ways to stay excited and motivated get to you sometimes.

I was a bit worried once I hit the 25 minute mark yesterday as to still having over 10 minutes of time left prior to turn around and realizing the furtherest I'd ran till now I was already past that point.  So I just kept running and when I snuck up onto the 39 minute mark this was the turnaround spot…..



Feeling like you are at the top of the mountain can make any person appreciate just where they are..And I couldn’t help but smile (realizing just how much the scenery of running had changed in the course of 24 hours was funny).  Then I realized I had that far back to run to the house (the joys of up and back running...but don't worry my legs were feeling much lighter and better at this point) J  Clicking the watch off at 1:20.54 was a great feeling…just knowing I did it and the slight panic of feeling like I won’t be ready for the marathon escaped away for a little while.   

Just a little update regarding the training:

Thursday (July 12th) - Ran 39 minutes….ran a few side roads along the beach road just to see the beach houses that were down different roads to change up my run a little bit. 

Friday- Ran an easy 35 minutes…I had to switch my workouts around due to fearing I wouldn’t get to run on Saturday as that should have been my long run day…but knowing we’d be traveling.

Saturday-  Took this day off since we were driving back from the beach…..and it was probably a good thing…after our All You Can Eat Seafood buffet on Friday to celebrate our last night there…(we had to make dad proud of course of all the seafood we could consume in one setting)….I’m not certain I could have even ran this day still recovering J

Sunday (yesterday)---Ran 80 minutes and LOVED it..No matter how humid it felt J  It was a nice change of route and I felt accomplished to have the longest run yet of the training schedule…  now just thinking how the next long run is scheduled to be 90 minutes J

I’ll be running an easy recovery run this evening I can promise you that while my legs are still working on recovering from the shock J   I’ve got some fundraising planning to get to work on and start getting closer to our goal….   We need to start added to our fundraising amount J  Who’s with me!? 

I’ll make an agreement…you can help fundraise or run the hour and a half with me next weekend…your choice :)
Team Spangler For Team Fox
Let's Do This

No comments:

Post a Comment