Monday, March 12, 2012

Weekend Update


What a weekend of running!  I find myself starting to feel guilty up until I actually run so the addiction to running is quickly coming back.  The legs may not agree, but they will just have to catch up.
On Saturday I started the day off with a little basketball game with the little team I coach (2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th grades co-ed) who have called themselves Blue Thunder (it started out as the Blue Team).  Dad warned me about coaching when I was debating if I should do it or not (I’m actually at times scared of my competitive self).  I think he knows I can be a demanding perfectionist (I argue I don’t know what he’s talking about trying to find excuses to all his examples).
 I didn’t want to turn into a “winning monster” and take away from the kids learning outside of winning.  I actually am extremely happy I decided to do it.  The kids are so funny and it helps me remember actually just how dad and I started out with my own basketball days.  I’ve debated getting them to run laps with me before practice to help myself get a little training in, but also to wear them out a bit. They tend to be “huggers” on defense because their desire to steal the ball and energy levels have a tendency to make them unable to listen at times J   It always makes me feel special when they start out with “Hey Coach”…as if I have all the answers to whatever question they are about to ask (involving basketball or not).  I do think it’s a learning experience for us all though and I find myself looking forward to coaching on Saturday mornings (and winning) J
            Saturday was a day I really just didn’t want to stop running, the weather was perfect and I was starting to feel like a runner again.  I’ve found myself going “one mailbox further” on the days I run on the road next to our house (today’s run was around 40 minutes).  I wanted to keep going but I’ve learned before baby steps to this training or the next day won’t be pretty J  I did find myself today thinking about my “Blue Thunder” team and ways for a few of them to work on things they just can’t seem to grasp yet and how I can help them better understand how.  (One parent has given me DVD’s of the games and we’ve decided it was only “feeding the monster” making notes off game film for grade schoolers) J I can’t express enough how proud I am as to how much each of them has improved and most of all approach some things regarding the game as a team.  It seems dad always has a way to make someone “better” at things and I just want to do the same.  The excitement these kids have when they make a basket is something you sometimes tend to forget over the years get because it became habit.
            On Sunday I didn’t get a run in till a little bit later in the evening due to a little bit of a hectic day but thank goodness for daylight savings and a little extra sunshine to get me through the run before darkness snuck back up.  I ran on the road again and looped back through the woods a little bit on my way back home just to add a little extra distance on a nice day and was around 45 minutes.  I did pass one of my neighbors who offered that I could run on their farm a little further back because they have log roads and some nice trails.  With me saying that you should probably prepare yourself for another story in the future involving me getting lost because it’s obvious it will happen but I’m sure it will be fun J 
            I have to say, I’m at a loss of words sometimes at everyone’s support and enthusiasm through some of this and please know how much me as well as the rest of my family appreciate it.  This blog is something I wasn’t sure how it would go over, or how I would feel about doing it but I am glad I chose to keep up with it.  Thanks for having me along J
Just a Little Saturday Morning at the Gym

No comments:

Post a Comment